This access statement does not contain personal opinions as to our suitability for those with access needs, but aims to accurately describe the facilities and services that we offer all our guests/visitors.
Access Statement for Clacton Pier
Situated on the Seafront in Clacton On Sea, Clacton pier is an iconic part of our tourism heritage and steeped with history since it first opened to the public on 18th July 1871.
Clacton Pier is situated at the bottom of a slight hill, Pier Gap. The Pier is all on one level (step free) with wheelchair access/or ramps to the bars, restaurants, bowling and family entertainment centres. We have a range of indoor entertainments giving our visitors a fantastic place for families to visit and have fun all year round. We have kids, family and thrill rides spread over 6 acres giving a wide variety of choice for all. The undercover section houses rides allowing visitors access whatever the weather. There are a selection of bars and restaurants all offering hot and cold food and beverages along with free entertainment throughout the summer/holiday months.
The Lanes Bowling Centre is open 7 days a week with bowling offers and packages for all. The Casino Arcade boasts an indoor world of amusements for all ages from video games, redemption, American pool and traditional prize amusements. You can also eat in the American Diner with a selection of delicious foods available.
Get up close and personal in the SeaQuarium which houses a collection of sea creatures from around the world. This too is also wheelchair friendly with step free access. Our Aquarist and staff are on hand to assist with any questions and talks/tours can be organised in advance.
The Kingsman Suite is also available providing a flexible space to hire for parties, small exhibitions and seminars.
We look forward to welcoming you. If you have any queries or require any assistance please phone 01255 421115 or email email@example.com.
- Full details of how to reach us are available on our website www.clactonpier.co.uk. Alternatively you can plan your journey by car or public transport - our postcode is CO15 1QX for directions.
- The nearest railway station is Clacton On Sea, which is 0.7 miles (a 5 minute walk). Taxis are available at the station. If you require an accessible taxi you can book this in advance, see contact information for details.
- The nearest bus stop is Clacton Town Centre which is 2 minutes walk from Clacton Pier.
- The main road around the Town and to Clacton Pier are all wide paved.
Car Parking and Arrival
- There is limited car parking on site with a 16 Car Pay and Display Car Park situated on the front of the Pier, with one Blue Badge parking space.
- The on site car park surface is tarmac and concrete leading to the main entrance. There are two other NCP Car parks within 5 minutes walking distance.
- Cars may drop passengers off at the main entrance to the Pier which is all on one flat level.
- Entry to the Pier is free of charge with double width entry doors for ease of access.
Main Entrance, Reception and Ticketing Area
- The main ticket box is situated halfway down the Pier on the ground floor with step free, level access throughout.
- There are some bench seats situated towards the Pier neck and also at various places around the Pier.
- The main section of the Pier is undercover and sheltered all being wheelchair accessible with overhead lighting.
- Many of the rides feature flashing lights and bulbs and accompanying overhead music as does The Lanes Bowling Centre.
- The main ticket box has glass frontage with hearing loop system installed at each counter.
- We offer one free complimentary ticket for a Carer for each full priced ticket purchased.
Attraction (displays, exhibits, rides etc.)
- We have a variety of kids, family and thrill rides available throughout the Pier and wherever possible we will help visitors to access these.
- Attractions are height restricted, boards are on site for assistance and full details of all restrictions can be found on the website.
- Throughout the summer/holiday months we have a wide variety of live entertainment and acts in The Boardwalk Bar and also outside on The Sunshine Terrace, all free of charge.
- Public toilets are located halfway down the Pier neck, all accessible by wheelchair with no steps. These toilets are open from Easter until October each year.
- Toilets are also situated on the ground floor in The Boardwalk Bar. This also houses a unisex disabled toilet with handrails, the key for which can be obtained from The Boardwalk Bar.
- We have a wide range of catering facilities at various locations around the Pier. All have access for wheelchairs.
- The entrance doors to The Boardwalk Bar and The Lanes Bowling Centre Diner can all be opened to double width for ease of access. There are a large number of tables that can be accessed easily on the ground level. These restaurants require ordering at the Bar and the food will be served by a waiter/waitress - all staff will be happy to assist if required.
- The closest WC is situated in The Boardwalk Bar area.
- We welcome trained assistance dogs.
- First Aiders are on site should they be needed, along with a fully equipped First Aid Room. Please ask the nearest member of staff for details.
- We have a set of evacuation procedures - should you require it someone will assist you with evacuation either out of the building or to a refuge.
- We welcome any comments that you may wish to make with regard to the accessility at Clacton Pier.
1 North Sea
Clacton On Sea
Telephone: 01255 421115
Grid Reference: 51.786536 Latitude, 1.154900 Longtitude
Hours Of Operation:
10am until 10pm Daily. Pier closed for walking on from 6pm in Winter months
Local Equipment Hire:
Marks Mobility Hire 84a Pier Avenue Clacton on Sea Essex CO15 1NJ
Local Accessible Taxi:
Phoenix: 01255 424242
Ade: 01255 222000
Seaside: 01255 223229
Local Public Transport: